Impact on Public Sector Pay Rises:
- Teachers will receive a 6.5% pay rise, junior doctors a 6% rise, and police officers (who cannot strike) a 7% increase.
- The funding for these pay rises will partly come from the higher fees paid by foreign migrants applying for visas.
Fee Increase Details:
- Visa fees vary based on factors like visa type, duration, purpose of visit, number of entries, and industry.
- The new UK work and visa fees will rise by 15%, while other visa fees will increase by a minimum of 20%.
- The specific implementation date for the new fees is currently unclear.
Immigration Health Surcharge Increase:
- The immigration health surcharge, providing migrants access to the NHS, will increase.
- The fee will now be £1,035 per person, per year.
- Eligible individuals (students, children) will have to pay £776, which marks a 66% increase.
Historical Fee Changes:
- The immigration health surcharge was introduced in March 2015 at £200 per application.
- It doubled to £400 in December 2018, then increased to £624 for adults and £470 for discounted applicants (children, students) in December 2020.